Wednesday 2 September 2009

Free Coloured Pencil Lesson - Part I - Line Drawing

You may notice I have been procrastinating with putting up the free coloured pencil lesson I promised. I was going to try and post the whole thing at once but find that a bit daunting and time consuming. (It might interfere with my Starbucks time!) So I'm breaking that part of my promise and going to do it in sections.




Part I:


You Will Need:


*scrap paper
*pencil
*eraser
*thin black marker
*prayer
*your dog
Draw the outline of an apple on a regular or scrap piece of paper. I've had people tell me they can't do this. Apples aren't any more perfect than the rest of us and come in many shapes and sizes. If it's not exactly the same as my photo don't worry, they'll both be equally as unedible in the end. Make sure it's the size you want the painting to be because this is the pattern for the good copy.


I drew my apple and wasn't happy with it. So now it's a dog toy.




Once you get a line drawing you are happy with and feel you can work from, use your black marker to outline all of the pencil marks. Make sure you also draw the line to indicate where you will put your shading and shadows as well as circling the area of the apple that will appear shiny and remain white.
You may have noticed the photo has 4 apple seed where I drew only three:-0
Artistically speaking, things show better in odd numbers. It's more aesthetically pleasing. However if you are suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and must have things in even numbers please feel free to add the additional seed.
Now I'll go fix my good rough copy and get ready for the next step.
Next time you will need:
*a pencil (preferrably a B)
*eraser
*"Stonehenge" or "Bristol" (vellum) or good quality paper with tooth. Canson Mi-tentes are okay, but have a bit too much tooth. White is the best but off-white will do. Natural colour is not good. You want your shiny highlights to be white without having to actually use a white pencil.
*low tack tape such as painters tape or other masking tape.
*More prayer
*a dog again....just in case.
*A window on preferably a sunny day. (No, really.....I'm serious!)



8 comments:

Serena Lewis said...

YAY! I'm so looking forward to doing this.....I'm off to check what supplies I have and what I need to go buy as I don't think I have suitable paper for the next lesson. I do have the dog though...hehehe

I'll post on my blog later today that the lesson is underway in case anyone else wants to join us.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Thanks Serena.

Kurt said...

I do not have a dog. What should I do?

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Borrow one.

Ye Olde Wench said...

I have three cats >^..^< :P

Jennifer Rose said...

"a dog again" lol hopefully not needed though :)

sandy said...

I have a busy schedule coming up but if I can, I'm going to join in. Nice blog you have.

Patti said...

I don't have a dog, but I have a really good paper scruncher, and he's had lots of practice this summer (I attempted to finish my novel).

Nice change of pace, good procrastination tool and creative outlet in one. Now on to Lesson 2!

(thanks for sharing your talent!)