Tuesday 5 July 2005

Another Proud Moment

Another proud moment for me occured for me today, or so I thought. Jessica has learned to brush her teeth on her own. Picture this:

My little angel has accomplished yet another first. She has initiated brushing her teeth alone before bed without being asked. I walked into the bathroom after getting her dressed for bed to find her standing there, battery run electric Veggietales toothbrush in hand with adequate amount of cinnamon toothpaste delicately balanced on top of bristles. She refuses to use the mint toothpaste. Apparently it's too spicy. Plus a girl likes to get that fabulous white smile that occurs with the whitening formula cinnamon toothpaste with the great cinnamon taste. As I walk in the room the end of the toothbrush disappears into my baby's mouth. Bristles twirling and buzzing all the while. I am proud. I am a good mother. In fact, Erin told me the other day that I am the best mother in the world. I think that she may be right! I have taught my daughter the importance of good dental hygiene starting at an eary age. I am truly amazing!

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
Proverbs 16:18

Oooooh! When God decides to teach someone a lesson....man, look out!

I see something red and sparkly out of the corner of my eye. Cinnamon toothpaste. Whitening formula for that spectacularly white smile.

Sandi: "Jessica why is there cinnamon toothpaste smeared all over the ENTIRE toilet seat?!"

Jessica: "I rinse my toothbrush there. I put too much on dat brush."

Sandi: "BLAHHHHHHHHH! We don't use the toilet water to rinse our toothbrush in!!!!! That's even more disgusting than when I found you eating your boog today!

def: boog=nasal discharge. Found to be particularily appealing and edible to anyone anyone under 5 years of age. Part of the 5th food group.

Sandi: "We talked about this! We don't use the toilet for washing anything! Not our hands, toys and certainly not our toothbrushes!"

Jessica: giggle, giggle. "Ok, sorry a do dat mom." She continues to brush her teeth.


The lessons that I have learned from this are: that if you really need to be proud of something, don't get carried away. There's proud and then there's top of the universe proud. Secondly, never, ever leave a 2 and a half year old in the bathroom alone. Finally, keep my own toothbrush locked away in the hall closet in case she decides she wants to rinse it for me some day. If she's feeling helpful, she can rinse Daddy's instead.

No comments: